The Smithsonian American Art Museum and National Portrait Gallery are located in the newly restored Patent Office Building (ca. 1836), one of the oldest Greek Revival buildings in our nation’s capital. The museums are known collectively as the Donald W. Reynolds Center for American Art and Portraiture, in honor of their largest donor, Donald W. Reynolds, owner of one of the nation’s largest privately held media companies.
A comprehensive donor recognition program was created for this 382,000-square-foot landmark building that honors and celebrates both institutions’ benefactors and their invaluable gifts. The program includes 2 large-scale donor recognition walls—the first celebrates Donald W. Reynolds’ career and business achievements, as well as his philanthropic contributions to the arts, and is comprised of sandblasted glass panels with narrative text, a bas-relief sculpture, artifacts, and images; the second wall recognizes the corporations, foundations, and individuals who supported the building’s renovation and restoration.
Donor recognition design standards realized as dark statuary bronze letters were introduced on the building exterior, as well as in over 30 galleries throughout the Center, recognizing individual donor support to various exhibition galleries, installations, and public spaces.
Back to top
Smithsonian American Art Museum and National Portrait Gallery
© Poulin + Morris Inc. All rights reserved 2017.